Associate Marketing Professional – Safety Controls Technology, Inc. in Middleburg Heights, OH (December 2014—Present)
- Responsible for the marketing of a safety consulting and training company serving various industries. Jobs include writing and designing internal/external newsletters, website creation/maintenance, designing marketing and advertising materials, grant writing and curriculum development.
Staff Writer – The News-Herald in Willoughby, OH (July 2012—November 2014)
- Covered multiple beats including, local government, education, crime and breaking news. Produced regular news and feature stories, as well as filmed and edited video to provide another platform for storytelling.
Staff Writer – The Courier-Times in New Castle, IN (November 2010—July 2012)
- Primarily covered crime and breaking news. Followed court cases at the local, state and federal levels. Regularly served as both reporter and photographer for a range of stories.
Religion Reporter – The Chautauquan Daily in Chautauqua, NY (June 2010—August 2010)
- Covered religion for the 2010 season of The Daily, the newspaper for Chautauqua Institution. Turned in a roughly 2,000-word article every day while covering the 2 p.m. Interfaith Lecture Series, which viewed each week’s theme through a religious, spiritual and moral lens.
Senior City Writer – The Post in Athens, OH (September 2008—June 2010)
- Reported on the City of Athens and Athens County for the Ohio University student-run paper. Worked my way up from a stringer to the Senior City Writer. Also wrote a food column for the culture staff in my senior year.
Student Employee – Nelson Dining Hall in Athens, OH (September 2006—April 2010)
- Worked in the kitchen doing food prep and dishwashing. Also worked the serving lines and as a cashier. Eventually moved to the back office and served as a secretary. The dining hall has a catering side as well, and I served on the wait staff.
Bookseller – Waldenbooks in North Olmsted, OH (Seasonal, December 2007—January 2010)
- Worked in a mall retail environment for three consecutive holiday seasons. Sold books, magazine, CDs, gift items and calendars. Experienced at opening and closing a retail store and handling a cash register.
- FY2015 Susan Harwood Grant. Part of grant writing team that earned a fully-funded grant ($140,000) from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- AP Ohio Associated Press Media Editors 1st Place Best Breaking News Coverage 2014 “T.J. Lane Escape.” Part of the winning team from The News-Herald.
- 2nd Place, Best Profile Feature for “After Addiction” in the Hoosier State Press Association Foundation 2011 Better Newspaper Contest.
August 2010 – Graduated from Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, with a Bachelor of Journalism Sciences degree with a specialization in Political Science and Religious Studies.
June 2006 – Graduated from Bay High School in Bay Village, Ohio.
References and writing samples available upon request. I am currently looking for freelance work. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.